Sunday, September 14, 2014

Summary:
In Ian Daly's piece "Virtual Reality Isn't Cool - It's Pathetic", he talks about how people get too involved with social media pages. Daly says that people have a false sense of popularity from the amount of friends they posses on sites. He comments how an "adult male converts to behave like 13-year-old girls" when they are on these sites, meaning they are basically giddy and easily obsessing over small things. In addition to seeming to be talking down to social media, he also comments on how people aren't really secure when they become engulfed by social media. Typical things you see people post, such as pictures from that party last weekend, are seen by potential employers and could be the difference between someone getting the job or completely missing out.

Response:
When it comes to social media sites, both of my parents have enforced keeping most things about my life private from the Internet. For example, if I go on a trip either with friends or with my family, I am advised not to post anything about my departure online because people who may know or have the ability to find out where I live could have access to anything and everything. Just by knowing that the house is vacant from whatever days at whatever times, it puts me, my family, and everything we own on the line. Yes, this may be a bit extreme, judging how Stockton isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but everything has potential to happen. Because of this, I am very cautious on what I allow to be posted to the Internet, and whenever I do post, I have to filter the type of information that I choose to put out there for the world to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment